Heart Function Clinic
Improving the quality of life for those living with heart failure!
It is estimated that there are about 500,000 Canadians living with heart failure.
Heart failure is a common condition that develops after the heart becomes weakened. The heart is not able to pump blood as well as it should to supply needed oxygen and nutrients to the body. The weakened pumping action can cause a back-up of fluid (congestion) in the lungs and other parts of the body, leading to what is otherwise known as congestive heart failure (CHF).
Heart failure does not happen overnight – it is a progressive disease. Patients with early stage heart failure can receive treatment and make lifestyle changes that will slow the progression of the disease. With changes, patients may be able to eliminate some symptoms and improve the quality and length of their lives.
Heart Function program provides ongoing outpatient care for patients who have heart failure or are at high risk for heart failure. Goals are to increase the patient understanding and empowerment to optimize medical treatments, improve/maintain quality of life, and reduce Emergency Department visits and hospital admissions for acute heart failure. This program covers inpatient reviews for Quinte Health Care Picton site.
Services include ongoing care, consultation, diagnostic testing, medication monitoring/adjustments and education/counseling to heart failure clients and those at high risk for heart failure.
- Initial assessment and ongoing evaluation/treatment of condition
- Optimization of heart failure care including medication use and dose adjustments
- Assistance with managing medication and therapies for heart failure treatment
- Ongoing individualized patient and family education about the disease process, diet, lifestyle, self-monitoring, and self-assessment
- Health teaching is emphasized to enable patients to gain confidence and learn skills to effectively self- manage heart failure
- Assist patients to make healthy lifestyle choices to improve quality of life
- Assist patients to learn how to carefully monitor weight and symptoms
- Ongoing support through follow-up visits and telephone monitoring
- Advanced care Planning
- Improved coordination of care
Links of Interest:
Financial Assistance and Services
Trillium Drug Program 1-800-575-5386
Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) 1-888-387-5559
Community Care for Seniors 613-476-7493
PhilipsLifeline - Medical Alert Services 1-800-543-3546
SMILE Program - Seniors Managing Independent Living Easily 1-888-866-6647
L-R Mary Stever, Dr. Phil Wattam, Jackie Rae
Mary Stever, RN
Clinical Care Coordinator Heart Function Clinic
Office: 613 476-2181 Ext. 4717
Heart Function Clinic: 613 471-1100
Fax: 613 471-1729
Days of Operation:
Various days every month in Visiting Specialist Clinic