Prince Edward County is experiencing a high volume of demand for COVID-19 testing.
- First determine if you require a COVID-19 test by completing a self-assessment
- Do not seek testing at multiple COVID-19 assessment centres as this will result in delayed access and delayed test results for all. If you have already booked an appointment at an assessment centre and can no longer make it, please cancel and rebook your time so others who need a test can be seen. This is important to ensuring those in need can receive timely access to testing and timely access to test results.
You will need an appointment to get a test at the COVID-19 Assessment Centre in Picton. Prior to booking your appointment with us, please review the eligibility information below.
Who should be tested at a COVID-19 assessment centre?
Based on the Ontario Government’s current COVID-19 testing guidelines, we are assessing individuals for COVID-19 testing based on the following:
- A household contact (note this does not include contacts of contacts such as a friend of someone in your household)
- Directed or recommended by public health via contact tracing or outbreak investigation
- Notified via the COVID Alert app
In addition, the following groups are eligible for testing at assessment centres regardless of the presence of symptoms. Currently, these are:
- Workers in long-term care homes every two weeks. Workers in long-term care homes should not be tested more frequently than every two weeks unless directed by public health in an outbreak setting.
- Essential caregivers visiting a long-term care home
- Residents or workers in homeless shelters, or other congregate settings. A list of congregate settings is outlined in guidance from the Ministry of Health.
- Pre-operative patients prior to receiving general anaesthesia and cancer patients receiving therapy as outlined in guidance from the Ministry of Health.
- International students who have passed their 14-day quarantine period, or who have developed symptoms within their 14-day period (breaking quarantine to get a test is not encouraged but assessment centres will not turn symptomatic individuals away).
- Farm workers
- Indigenous communities
- Individuals who need testing for international travel clearance (note: this is an interim measure).
Please check Ontario.ca/covidtest to ensure you have the most current information.