QHC Launches COVID/Respiratory Illness Assessment Clinic
Are you experiencing worsening respiratory symptoms? Not sure if it’s COVID-19 or another illness? A new assessment clinic is here to help.
The new Respiratory Illness Assessment Clinic (RIAC) will launch at Quinte Health Care Trenton Memorial Hospital (TMH) on Tuesday, February 22, 2022. The clinic will offer care to patients of all ages in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties experiencing mild to moderate respiratory symptoms that could be associated with COVID-19, or another respiratory illness, such as difficulty breathing, shortness of breath and/or a stubborn cough.
Referrals can be made by physicians and/or nurse practitioners, or by self-referral such as in situations where an individual doesn’t have a family doctor or nurse practitioner. We recommend that anyone with a family physician or nurse practitioner contact their office first for guidance.
RIAC will operate three days per week, Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1 to 5 p.m. at the main level at TMH. The entrance to the clinic is in the rear of the building. Please see the map below.
Our enhanced Respiratory Illness Assessment Clinic offers:
• Quick, direct access to a physician
• Alternative to the Emergency Room for those with questions and moderate/worsening symptoms
• Booked appointments with a clinician, so there is no need to wait in the ER waiting room – show up at your scheduled time and you will be called in
• On-site COVID testing may be conducted based on clinical assessment and provincial testing eligibility
• COVID-specific treatment with approved medications, if eligible
You should book a clinical assessment if you:
• have worsening symptoms that you are concerned about; or
• have been directed by your primary care provider or other health care professional; or
• are unable to safely monitor your symptoms at home; or
• are at higher risk of severe illness, including:
• immunocompromised individuals regardless of vaccine status
• unvaccinated individuals aged 60 and over
• unvaccinated First Nation, Inuit and Métis individuals aged 50 and over
• unvaccinated individuals aged 50 and over with one or more risk factors
If you have one or more of the following symptoms, immediately call 911 or go to the Emergency Department:
• severe difficulty breathing (struggling for each breath, can only speak in single words)
• severe chest pain (constant tightness or crushing sensation)
• feeling confused or unsure of where you are
• losing consciousness
Help us save Emergency Rooms for the emergencies, and book into RIAC by calling 613-961-5544.
Remember to bring a valid Ontario health card or photo identification and please avoid bringing well children or other healthy members of the community (e.g., friend, neighbour) to your appointment.
Please note – this is a respiratory assessment clinic, not a COVID-19 testing centre. If you are eligible for a COVID test, please book an appointment with one of the local COVID testing centres. Visit www.qhc.on.ca for instructions on booking a test.
RIAC Location The Respiratory Illness Assessment Clinic is located at Quinte Health Care Trenton Memorial Hospital, at 242 King St, Trenton, Ontario. Please turn north on Catherine Street and continue past the Emergency Department area, turning left at the last entry-way at the end of the building. Proceed to the back of the building to park. Clinic staff will call you in when it’s time for your appointment.