Dear residents served by Prince Edward Family Health Team
As fall is upon us, we are yet again adapting to ongoing changes with the COVID-19 pandemic. Schools have reopened and more and more healthcare services have reopened in our community and our hospital. We would like to take this opportunity to update our community on how we will continue to provide care to our patients. At this time, there is still no approved vaccine or treatment for COVID-19 in Canada. Therefore, our best defence continues to be personal protective equipment, social distancing and hand hygiene.
Our offices remain open. However, the majority of care will still be provided via phone or virtually, per Ministry of Health guidelines. If deemed necessary, select patients will undergo a screening questionnaire by telephone prior to being brought into the office. We ask that you please contact your doctor’s office or PEFHT central phone (613-476-0040 ext. 0) via phone ahead of time so social distancing measures can be maintained.
A new challenge this fall will be the flu season. We are working with our partners from Public Health and local pharmacies to look at how best to approach the delivery of vaccines. If you have any questions on how to obtain your flu shot, please contact your doctor’s office directly. The COVID-19 centre remains open at Picton Arena and testing guidelines continue to evolve. For information on COVID-19 or when to schedule a test, please see the Hastings Prince Edward Public Health website at https://hpepublichealth.ca/ or call them at (613) 813-6864 for more information and assistance. If you are unsure if you need a COVID test, please refer to the Ontario self-assessment tool at: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/.
We thank you for your continued support, cooperation and patience during this pandemic and look forward to working with you to ensure your best health throughout our fall season and beyond.
The PEFHT Family Doctors and entire PEFHT Team
During this time, with the entire community pulling together to contain the spread of COVID-19, PEFHT would like to share with you how we're managing upcoming appointments:
Your Family Doctor's office:
All doctors' offices are open to continue to care for you, with some important changes.
• To limit people having contact with one another as they normally would when coming for appointments, your doctor's office may be asking you to switch to a phone appointment or an appointment using virtual technology, where you can see your doctor; this will depend on each doctor's office and what will work for the patient.
• If an in-person appointment is scheduled, it is also likely that you will be asked to wait in your car outside the clinic office until you are called in for your appointment.
Appointments with other PEFHT staff
• If you have an appointment coming up in one of our programs, the PEFHT staff member you normally see will be contacting you about switching to a phone or virtual technology visit as appropriate, or postponing your visit to a future date.
• In the event that an in-person appointment is needed, it is also likely that you will be asked to wait in your car outside the clinic office until you are called in for your appointment.
• It's extremely important at this time that you don't come to your doctor's or a PEFHT office without an appointment - call first!
• Phone lines will be busy so we ask for your patience and that you leave only one voice mail message. We will get back to you.
• We are working on an email alternative - please check here for new information about that.
• Prince Edward Family Health Team, Quinte Health Care, and the County of Prince Edward, opened the doors of the Prince Edward COVID-19 Assessment Centre. The Assessment Centre operates by appointment only, as an outdoor drive-through facility.
Should you have a COVID-19 test? Visit COVID-19 Ontario Self-Assessment site to find out.
Public Health will be reinstating some services out of the Harbourview Clinic location starting the week of July 13:
- Immunizations: by appt and one day / month (a Monday) and first day has yet TBD
- Water Service: two days/week. Wed, Thurs
- Sex Health: 1/2 day / week. Wednesday afternoons
Helpful Community Information
Listing of other PEC Business Services - Click here
Mental Health Resources and Links
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health mental health and stress reduction tips.
CONNEXOntario is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on line or by phone at 1-866-531-2600 for Addiction, Mental Health and Problem Gambling Treatment Services
310-OPEN (6736) is a free, confidential service to get information, support and referral to all mental health and addictions services in Hastings & Prince Edward Counties in Ontario, Canada. Dial 310-OPEN and be connected to someone with an open mind to help you when you need it. They are open Monday to Friday during regular business hours.
Addictions and Mental Health Services Pandemic Helpline: is gradually return to their post-pandemic normal. AMHS-HPE has concluded the Pandemic Helpline; with callers being directed to connect with AMHS-HPE Central Intake 310-OPEN
Crisis Intervention Centre: 24/7 Crisis line. 613.969.7400, ext 2753, or 1-888-757-7766.
CAMH - Mental Health and the COVID-19 Pandemic
Ontario Increasing Mental Health Support During COVID-19 - Click here for Article
Pharmacy/Flu Shot Update:
What's the difference between quarantine and isolating?
What you need to know: Click here