What is palliative care?
According to the Canadian Hospice and Palliative Care Association;
"Palliative care is the combination of active and compassionate therapies intended to comfort and support individuals and families who are living with, or dying from a progressive life-threatening illness, or are bereaved."
Palliative care is not merely for the last few hours or days of life, it is a philosophy about living well along the way. Palliative care is about Comfort and Support.
Some examples of patients who will benefit from the palliative care program include those living with:
- terminal cancer
- congestive heart failure
- lung disease
- renal failure
Families experiencing grief and loss of a loved one will also benefit from the program.
- Patient-centred care - We work closely with the patient to meet individual needs.
- Family support - The family/caregivers are an essential part of the care plan.
- Advanced planning - Everyone needs to plan ahead, to reflect on choices. For example, "Where do I want to die?", "Who can speak for me if I am unable to speak for myself?"
- Interdisciplinary care - A team of doctors, nurses and allied health care professionals provide comprehensive, compassionate care for palliative patients and their families. Care is based on best-practice guidelines supported by provincial and national standards.
- Local community partners - To meet the Palliative Care Program goal we work closely with the following community-based organizations:
- Home and Community Care Support Services 310-2222
- Hospice Prince Edward (HPE) 613-645-4040
- Prince Edward County Community Care for Seniors
- Quinte Healthcare Corporation/Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital
By working together, the Palliative Care Team:
- Aims to care for the body, mind and spirit
- Provides seamless transition through the health care system
- Offers a choice of settings for final days
- Supports those grieving the loss of a loved one
How to make contact with the Palliative Care Program
Palliative Care Coordinator at 613-438-2450
Helpful information about Palliative Care:
For a free copy of "A Caregiver's Guide", a handbook about end-of life care published by the CHPCA. Call Hospice Prince Edward at: 613-645-4040