"When it comes to diabetes, knowledge is power!"
A comprehensive diabetes management program aimed at supporting patients and families, in their diabetes self-management, through education, medication adjustment and collaborative goal setting. To work closely with clients and their families living with diabetes in PEC, along with their physicians and nurse practitioners. We promote self-management and improve quality of life through education, motivation and through supporting behavioral change in clients and families living with diabetes.
There are three types of Diabetes:
Type I Diabetes
- 10% of diabetics have Type I diabetes
- Usually occurs in children and adolescents
- The pancreas is unable to produce a hormone called insulin
Type II Diabetes
- 90% of diabetics have Type II diabetes
- Usually occurs in adults but more children are being diagnosed with Type II diabetes
- The pancreas does not produce enough insulin or the body does not use its insulin supply effectively
- A temporary condition during pregnancy
- Can lead to an increased risk of mother and child developing diabetes
- refers to a condition where a person’s blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes.
Possible Complications of Diabetes
It is important to properly manage diabetes to reduce your risk of serious health complications.
Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to:
- Diseases of the heart, kidney and eyes
- Nerve damage, particularly in the feet
- Erectile dysfunction
A comprehensive diabetes management program aimed at supporting patients and families, in their diabetes self-management, through education, medication adjustment and collaborative goal setting. To work closely with clients and their families living with diabetes in Prince Edward County, along with their physicians and nurse practitioners. We promote self-management and improve quality of life through education, motivation and through supporting behavioral change in clients and families living with diabetes.
We provide education to adults with Type 1, Type 2 and Pre-diabetes and their families in the following areas:
- Understanding diabetes
- Healthy eating
- Healthy lifestyles
- Self-managing your diabetes
- Insulin and other treatment options
- How to use your blood glucose meter
- How to use your insulin pen
- Recognizing symptoms of low or high blood sugar
Bant makes blood glucose data capture easy and sharing your experience even easier
Glucose Buddy is a data storage utility into which you manually enter glucose numbers, carbohydrate consumption, insulin dosages and activities
Uses your phone’s camera to detect the pulse from your fingertip
Set a daily calories goal and record your daily food and exercise to make sure you stay on track
Created by the Dietitians of Canada to check your food and activity choices, analyze your recipes and plan your meals
Track carbs, find detailed nutritional information, learn to cook dishes from various cultures and create an e-grocery list
Be inspired to cook anytime, day or night with Cookspiration created by Dietitians of Canada.
App available to suit your mood and schedule.
Links of Interest
Financial Assistance and Services:
Insulin Pump and Supplies Program 1-800-268-6021
Syringes for Seniors Application Form Repository 1-800-268-6021
Ontario Drug Benefit Program (ODB) 1-888-387-5559
Ontario Monitoring for Health Program 1-800-361-0796
Trillium Drug Program 1-800-575-5386
Canadian Diabetes Association
Canadian Diabetes Association - Belleville office 613-962-6520
Canadian National Institute for the Blind 1-800-563-2642
Kidney Foundation of Canada 1-800-387-4474
Diabetes Education Team from L-R
Deborah Finnegan, Dr. Don Koval, Sarah Sandham, Christina Hoye, Donna Lowes. (Missing Kim Storms, RD)
Special thanks to Donna Lowes for being part of our team during Kim's maternity leave.
Christina Hoye, Diabetes Nurse Educator
613-476-0400 ext. 212 (Picton)
613-476-0400 ext. 211 (Picton)
Registered Dietitian, PTS
613-399-1281 ext. 5 (Wellington)
Hours of Operation
Monday 8:30am - 4:30pm Sandbanks Medical Centre, 12 Prince Edward Drive., Wellington
Tuesday through Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm PEFHT, Harbourview Clinic at 35 Bridge